Frequently Asked Questions
Why Hire a Professional Organizer?
- Because you are overwhelmed and it is all too much! You just don’t know where to begin on your own.
- In order to get control of your life so you are no longer living with the stress and disorder of clutter or by the struggle of trying to get organized and stay that way.
- To provide yourself and your family with a place where you and others want to spend time.
- To make things efficient and functional and to make sure everything has a home and you can find what you want, when you want it!
- To make better use of your time and space. Some people are better than others at visualizing where or how things should be put away.
What does a professional organizer do?
- We work to decrease clutter, maximize your home/work/office space/storage space or environment, organize important documents. We help you to get focused and free up your valuable time to help find fulfillment in life without the stress of feeling out of control with too much “stuff”. We can work in many different areas – kitchens, pantries, laundry rooms, closets, family rooms, play rooms, children’s rooms, garages, offices, etc.
Do you make me throw things away?
- No, you do not have to throw anything away that you want to keep. However, you will be encouraged to think about what you have and why, and what it is doing to your life.
How much time will it take?
- There is no easy answer to that question. It depends upon what we will be going through. How quickly do you make decisions? Will we also be setting up files? How many closets, boxes, rooms, etc. will we be sorting or unpacking?
Is this the worst place you have ever seen?
- Each and every place is different and cannot be compared. We are here to help – not judge. We want you to be happy in your environment. We are here to help you sort and purge and make decisions as to what goes and what stays. Our services are strictly confidential. We work by the NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers) code of ethics.
What will happen when you come the first time?
- Well, if it is just for an assessment, we will walk through the area that you would like help organizing. We will discuss the problems, how you would like it to function, what it is lacking, etc. I will provide a written plan if you want to do it on your own.
- If I am there to help with the organizing, we will either start the day of the assessment or the next mutually agreeable day by sorting things into categories. It will look worse before it looks better, as we decide what things to keep, what to toss, what to donate, etc.
- If you would like I will take the donations away for you (unless they are too large or bulky and we must arrange for pickup). I do not make you get rid of things that you do not want to get rid of, but we will discuss things and I will offer guidance and suggestions throughout the process.
- Then we will designate a home (be it a container, shelf, drawer, etc) for the things you are keeping. I will make suggestions along the way for maintaining the space. If for any reason you need occasional maintenance help, I would be happy to continue working with you.
How do you bill?
- My hourly organizing charge is $65. Package pricing is also available-please contact me for specifics.
- You pay at the end of each appointment or at the end of the week (for multiple days). Payment is accepted in the form of cash or check.
- I will do my best to work with what you have for containers, etc, but I do come with things we can try, if you use them, reimburse me for their cost.